Re: mode-line face

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: mode-line face
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 17:33:36 +0900 (JST)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> Just tried it and I must say I like the idea.  OTOH, my variable-pitch
> is Helvetica (the default, I believe) and the * in that font I have
> is more like the asterisks used for footnotes (i.e. it's kind of
> superscripted), which makes the read-write status rather unreadable.

Hmm, my variable-pitch face is `times'.  It also has raised asterisks,
but they're not as dramatically tiny as the helvetica ones (actually,
courier asterisks are also raised, but of course they're the same width
as anything else).

The default helvetica is cleaner looking, but seems to have more
variation in letter widths than times, so I find it somewhat harder to
read (e.g., a helvetica `i' is only one pixel wide, but the times `i'
has to be at least 3 pixels wide to include the serifs).

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche