Re: toolbars?

From: William M. Perry
Subject: Re: toolbars?
Date: 03 Oct 2000 10:41:55 -0500

ShengHuo ZHU <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (William M. Perry) writes:

> > >  WMP> So, I wanted to get toolbars working in Emacs/W3
> > >
> > > [Does the current CVS source actually work properly in Emacs 21?  I
> > > can't remember exactly what I tried and had trouble with.]
> >
> > Local files work... I am going to spend some time early this morning trying
> > to figure out what is wrong with HTTP.
>
> URL works in Emacs 20.7 (though not perfect), but not in Emacs 21.  I
> always get an error message "url-http-real-after-change-function is void"
> or so.  The variable is a local variable, and not defined globally.
> Could it possibly be a bug in Emacs 21?

I am beginning to think so.  The new URL package does some very weird
things with after-change-functions.  When a page finishes downloading (we
know either by content-length, connection closing, or chunked encoding), we
activate the callback and set the url-http-real-after-change-function to
nil.  After we activate the callback (ie: w3 renders the page), it ends up
calling the old after change hook in the _new_ buffer.

Very weird.  I work around it right now by checking whether the variable is
boundp, but that seems... unclean. :)

-Bill P.