VC/CVS: local diffing and reverting implemented

From: Andre Spiegel
Subject: VC/CVS: local diffing and reverting implemented
Date: 04 Oct 2000 12:13:07 +0200

Allright, under remote CVS, simple diffs (C-x v =) and reverting
(C-x v u) are now performed locally.  Try it out and let me know how
you like it.

Of course the feature is generically implemented and could be used for
any backend, but it is only enabled for remote CVS by default.

>From those who are interested, I'd like to hear comments about the
implementation.  Specifically,

  (1) The local files are called "version backups", and they follow
      the same naming convention as in C-x v ~
      (vc-version-other-window).  I have chosen not to make these
      files invisible (by prepending a `.' or something) because it
      helps users to see what is going on, files can also be re-used by
      C-x v ~, and it saves us from introducing another naming scheme.
      Do people agree with that?

  (2) If there's a version backup for the current workfile version,
      that is deleted at check-in time, or if you do a local revert
      (but only if version backups are indeed used for the file).
      The reason is that I don't want to clutter working directories
      with version backups.  Also ok with you?

If anything else springs to your mind or strikes you as odd, let me
know.