Re: how to determine whether a char can be displayed or not

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: how to determine whether a char can be displayed or not
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 19:44:31 +0200

> From: Dave Love <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 17:45:09 +0100
>
> "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > This should return non-nil for an ASCII font on all systems.  Also,
> > calling fontset-font unconditionally will signal an error on systems
> > which don't support fontsets (e.g., MS-DOS);
>
> Shouldn't it just return nil, as on ttys?

Did you test this in a version that was compiled without X support at
all?  If the X support is included, there will be no error even in
"emacs -nw".  But versions without X support don't link fontset.c in
(at least the MS-DOS version doesn't), so if we want to avoid the
error, we need something like (fset 'fontset-font 'ignore) somewhere.