Re: isearch-lazy-highlight-initial-delay

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: isearch-lazy-highlight-initial-delay
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 16:16:47 +0200 (IST)

On 12 Oct 2000, William M. Perry wrote:

> > If you only use a tty when logged in over a modem, then you could always
> > put something like
> >
> >     (when (null window-system)
> >       (setq-default isearch-lazy-highlight-initial-delay 5))
> >
> > in your .emacs file.
>
> Could you make some determination from 'baud-rate'?

Yes, I think baud-rate is the way to go.  In any case, let's not
introduce new uses of window-system for such situations (where the
window-system has really nothing to do with the issue).

> in X and xterm it
> just picks arbitrary values (that were once deemed speedy, but are now
> pretty pathetic (9600 for xterm and 19200 for X)

We could change these values to something less ``pathetic'', but I'm not
sure how much of the knowledge about these values is hard-wired in the
code which decides when to redisplay a screen portion and when to use
direct display manipulations.