Re: bitmap files

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: bitmap files
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:25:48 +0100

 MB> For images that come with emacs (e.g., splash screens), I notice
 MB> that there are typically two files -- a .xpm file, used on color
 MB> displays, and a .pbm file used on mono displays.

What code are you thinking of?  The toolbar only prefers PBM on mono,
but the idea of the PBMs is principally that (like XBM) they work in
an Emacs without XPM support.  [PBM is more efficient than XBM, though
that's probably only significant for things like gnus.pbm, which is
~40k (?) smaller than the XBM version.]

 MB> it seems as if these mono images are hard-wired for given
 MB> background (at least, that's how emacs displays them on my color
 MB> display;

I don't understand.  They're drawn with the `1' values in the frame's
foreground colour for me.  Isn't that right?

 MB> I don't have a real mono display to test it with)?

You could test with Xnest or Xvnc/xvncviewer using `-class mono'.