Re: bitmap files

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: bitmap files
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 02:00:33 +0900 (JST)

Dave Love <address@hidden> writes:
>  MB> it seems as if these mono images are hard-wired for given
>  MB> background (at least, that's how emacs displays them on my color
>  MB> display;
>
> I don't understand.  They're drawn with the `1' values in the frame's
> foreground colour for me.  Isn't that right?

Actually, since many of the icons are actually little pictures, I'm not
sure this *is* right (it's the same problem as with xfaces -- they were
mostly drawn with a black-on-white display in mind, so on a
white-on-black display, whether they look `correct' has a lot to do with
the image content:  a picture often looks better when it's drawn with a
constant set of colors (usually black-on-white) whereas a `graphic'
often looks better when drawn using the current fg/bg colors.

But the toolbar background is "grey" on mono displays, which is dithered...
It seems like in this case the icons will all have solid backgrounds,
which will look bad...

-Miles