Re: font-lock-comment-face

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: font-lock-comment-face
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 17:46:31 +0900 (JST)

> > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> > I'd like to change this to `yellow green', which contrasts well with the
> > other font-lock faces, and is much more readable (I think comments
> > should be read!).  On a tty, this reduces to `yellow', which is also
> > pretty good
>
> The problem is, there is already a face that maps to yellow on tty's:
> font-lock-variable-name-face.  I think we should avoid faces that use
> identical colors for different purposes.

True; although the typical contexts in which the comment and variable
faces appear are different enough that it probably wouldn't be a problem
in practice.

> I think comments are using reddish colors for such a long time that we
> shouldn't change their default color in any radical way.

This is only true if a significant number of people actually like the
current default (among those who use a dark-background); I doubt anyone
actually *depends* on the precise color used, only that it stand out
from the surrounding text.

> Is it possible to find some reddish color that would look better on X?

Well the default used for strings (salmon) is not bad... :-)

The problem with red is that if it gets dark, you can't read it, and if
it gets too bright and saturated, it drives you insane.  The string face
uses the remaining option, an unsaturated but reasonably bright red.

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche