Re: mode-line-inverse-video

From: Noah Friedman
Subject: Re: mode-line-inverse-video
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 14:02:31 -0700 (PDT)

>Removing that dead wood needs to be tested, documentation needs to be
>changed accordingly, any bugs revealed by it removal found, debugged,
>and fixed, etc., etc.
>
>How will we ever be able to start the pretest and release this
>version, if people keep adding new features all the time?

(I'm not sure if removing code that already has one foot in the grave counts
as adding features, but I understand what you mean from the standpoint of
stabilizing the code.)

In fact I must have missed the feature freeze call or I wouldn't have
suggested this so eagerly.  But I can think of two safe alternatives:

  1) Delay the release of 21.0 for another couple of weeks.

  2) Delay removing dead features until Emacs 22.

Option #2 may be years away, but it's still an acceptable alternative.  I
just wanted to point out that now is the best time for the foreseeable
future to consider removing old features.