Re: secondary-selection face

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: secondary-selection face
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 08:23:16 +0900 (JST)

> > I find the light-background region face almost invisible, whereas the
> > secondary-selection face is like a laser drilling through your eyeballs.
>
> The second one of these is "yellow", which to me doesn't look like a
> laser at all.
>
> This might also be a matter of display mode and/or performance.

Indeed.  [I was also making a pitiful attempt at humor; but I think it
communicates what I wanted to say about their respective prominences
pretty well...]

> > I might suggest just swapping the two; anyone else who normally uses
> > a light background (I don't) have any opinion?
>
> One thing that bothers me is that both region and secondary-selection
> have very similar colors.

Actually, since their conventional usage is as a pair, it makes a great
deal of sense that they look related.  On an X display they are
certainly distinct enough (and on a tty, they can be tweak accordingly);
my only question was whether secondary-selection should be so much more
noticable than the region face.

> > Obviously this is a matter of opinion.
>
> If there is disagreement about the new colors, perhaps it's better to
> revert to the old ones.  At least users are already ``used'' to those.

No I think it's better to think about it first.  Even when something is
an opinion, there's usually a reason backing it up (I tried to outline
my reasoning about the `highlight' face, in the post to which you
responded).

> (Did we actually have complaints about the default colors in v20 and
> before?)

I don't know.  I do know that I had personal defaults for quite a few
emacs faces because I didn't like the defaults.

The Emacs 21 faces are pretty good in general, I think.

-Miles