Re: modal proportionality, redux

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: modal proportionality, redux
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:13:27 +0900 (JST)

Stefan Monnier <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> My problem wasn't so much with the dash but with the * which is really
> barely visible.  So I agree that a proportional font would be better,
> but Helvetica doesn't cut it.
> Actually, looking at the few standard fonts I have installed, I'd
> say that the only proportional font whose asterisk is acceptable
> is Lucida.

[actually, times has a very nice asterisk, but I assume we're sticking
 with sans-serif fonts here]

I also think lucida looks very nice (not just the asterisk; it seems to
have fewer extremes than helvetica, and generally suitable for this sort
of use).  Does it come standard with all X distributions?

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche