Re: Mailing lists: So how does it work?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:47:20 +0200

> From: Andre Spiegel <address@hidden>
> Date: 17 Oct 2000 09:45:26 +0200
>
> "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > > what's the distinction between
> > > emacs-hackers and emacs-devel?
> >
> > The former is for discussions between the developers, while the latter
> > is for people who don't have write access to the CVS tree but want to
> > talk to the developers.
>
> Ok, since nobody else is saying anything about this, I assume that is
> the definitive word.

I don't claim to be a definitive source, I just conveyed what I
understood from previous discussions.  Gerd's is the definitive word.

> I do understand that there might be a need for a separate channel
> for the hard core developers

I don't think there's any subdivision between core and non-core
developers.  But if there were such a thing, I certainly cannot
explain to myself why I'm more ``core'' than you or Miles.

It's up to Gerd, but I'd recommend that all those who have write
access to the CVS tree be subscribed to emacs-hackers.

In general, I don't think two separate forums for developers is a good
idea, mainly because it is hard to know where to post any given
message.  If I want to talk to specific people, there's always
personal email or my own private aliases.