Re: Info faces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Info faces
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:41:51 +0200

> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:51:55 +0900 (JST)
>
> "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:
> > That's true.  However, since as I understand, the main rationale for
> > colors on tty's was the GNU/Linux console, we might as well make the
> > colors suitable for that case.
>
> Indeed.  I must say I *like* running emacs in an xterm though; it feels
> lighter and fresher than the native X mode...

Perhaps we could detect that Emacs runs on an xterm, and have a
special setup of RGB values for its colors.

> I must say,
> the code that adapts colors for use on a tty does a really good job.
> Even modes like Gnus that use lots of color look great.]

I'm glad you like it.  That code comes from many years of experience
in the MSDOS port of Emacs, but it was never extensively tested on an
8-color display before installing it in the Emacs sources.  (The MSDOS
display supports 16 colors.)

Btw, the main motivation for having the automatic color translation is
to avoid the need for specifying separate colors for each display
type, which, in the long run, is an enormous maintenance burden.  So
I'd suggest that when colors are defined by defface, to have a really
good reason for separate definitions.  If you don't have a good
reason, use a unified color definition that uses one of the X color
names in rgb.txt.