Re: Info faces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Info faces
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:59:02 +0200

> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:23:27 +0900 (JST)
>
> I get these results on the linux console using the default 8-color list
> (`tty-standard-colors'):
>
>    (tty-color-translate "lightred")
>    => nil

Ah, that's my bad.  I shouldn't have used lightred, I should have used
red1 instead.

> Looking at the code, I see the problem is that there's no entry for
> "lightred" in `color-name-rgb-alist'

Yes.

> On the PC, I guess it works because there's an explicit entry in
> tty-defined-color-alist for it.

Yes, it is defined on pc-win.el.

I didn't add to `color-name-rgb-alist' more lightFOO colors beyond
what's already in rgb.txt, because it turns out that what's called
"lightred" on a VGA is actually called "red" by rgb.txt (judging by
the RGB values), and a similar situation exists with all the other
lightFOO colors (see pc-win.el).  Having "lightred" and "red" both map
to the same RGB values in `color-name-rgb-alist' would produce
confusing counter-intuitive results, which I wanted to avoid.

I will add a comment along these lines to tty-colors.el, lest someone
in the future will be tempted to add the ``missing'' colors.

>    (tty-color-translate "lightblue")
>    => 6

What happens if you use "blue1" instead of "lightblue"?  Does it map
to 4, the blue color?  Does it look right in Info?  ("blue1" is what I
actually meant to use.)