Re: problem of released-button style mode-line

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: problem of released-button style mode-line
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 16:31:51 +0900 (JST)

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>>  Is it possible to make one-line window at least has normal
>>  line height?

> Perhaps someone know a more elegant solution (and if not, something's
> got to be done for a future release), but what I've done in some code is
> just always increase the requested window size by 1 if on a graphical
> display, e.g., something like

>   (let ((desired-win-size ...calculate-height-of-text...))
>     (when (display-graphic-p)
>       (setq desired-win-size (1+ desired-win-size)))
>     ...make window with height desired-win-size...)

> It works ok in practice.

As I myself prefer Emacs 20 style modeline, I customized the
mode-line face as this long ago;

(custom-set-faces
[...]
 '(mode-line ((t (:inverse-video t)))))

Thus I didn't notice this problem until now.  And with this
setting, having just one line window is good.  I don't want
to use unnecessay two-line guidance window in the above
case.

So, I tried to check the style of the current modeline, and
increase the window height only when released-button style
is used by using a code something like this:

(if (let ((box-attr (face-attribute 'mode-line :box)))
      (and (listp box-attr)
           (eq (plist-get box-attr :style) 'released-button)))
    ...)

But, such a code seems very clumsy.  If possible, I'd like
to avoid installing this kind of code.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden