Re: Info faces

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Info faces
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 20:53:05 +0900 (JST)

> The requirement is to be able to tell, from within Emacs, whether a
> given tty frame is displayed on a real terminal or on some terminal
> emulator on top of a windowed system such as X.

The underlying requirement is to tell whether or not the terminal in use
has a `dark' or a `light' background.  That's basically impossible, but
I thought it might be somehow possible to do it for only xterms &c --
they probably represent a large percentage of the light-background
terminals emacs will be used with.

If it's impossible to tell that, simply knowing that the terminal is an
xterm at least lets you set the default so that it will capture
represent the common case (since most people, to the best of my
knowledge, use black-on-white xterms).

-Miles