Re: outline-mode faces

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: outline-mode faces
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 21:28:53 +0900 (JST)

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> I don't see any reason to use font-lock faces, since they are supposed to
> be tailored to program sources, not to ASCII text.  For text files, I
> think we need face definitions based on header levels.  These definitions
> could be used by Text, Outline, Texinfo, TeX, and Info modes, among
> others.

There need to be at least two sorts, however.  In info-mode (and
perhaps others), the headers are like newspaper headlines -- short and
on their own line.  This means it's both reasonable and desirable to use
increased sizes and e.g. variable pitch for them.

The outline-mode `headers' on the other hand, are actually just the
normal text, highlighted to stand out a bit (and the highlights are
often just the first line of a larger paragraph).  In this case the
font-size and family should stay the same (but bold seems alright; some
other kinds of emphasis like small-caps or something might also be ok).

> Too many independent faces is not a Good Thing, IMHO.  Aside of too
> much consing, it also makes it hard for the user to get a grip of all
> of them.
>
> I think we should have a single default face definition for all text-like
> modes.  If that is not enough, they should at least inherit from the same
> source.

Yeah, this is a good idea, modulo my above comment (so two sets, `header
levels' and `emphasis levels'?)

-Miles