Re: New names for VC local version backups

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New names for VC local version backups
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:33:44 +0200 (IST)

On 22 Oct 2000, Andre Spiegel wrote:

> Stefan and I figured that we need to use a different naming scheme for
> automatic version backups (the new mechanism that lets you do local
> diffs and reverts).  This is so we can automatically delete them
> without interfering with the user.  Thus, these files are no longer
> named FILE.~x.y~, as it is done by C-x v ~, but I've rather chosen
> FILE.#x.y# for now.

Won't this make problems with the commands and features that manage
backup files?  IIRC, they all recognize backup files as having `~' as
their last character.

Also, what about MS-DOS?  Does this mean these features won't work in the
MS-DOS port?

As for interfering with the user, I don't follow: when VC is in use,
Emacs doesn't make backup files, so what interference did you have in
mind?

> The change is installed.

Sigh.  Is it possible to try to discuss important changes here
*before* they get installed?  I thought that's what we started
this forum for, no?