Re: New names for VC local version backups

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: New names for VC local version backups
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:20:23 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> My personal favorite would be to use CVS/Base/<file>.~<rev>~,

My experience is similar: it is usually best to use a subdirectory than
to invent a new file-name format.

> The problem is that when a cache file is not needed any more,
> we'd like to remove it (else, they tend to accumulate rather quickly).
> But we can't blindly remove them because they might have been put
> there by the user (since nothing marks them as specifically "cache").

So you would like to remove files of the form <file>.~<rev>~, but you
are afraid that those might be backup files, yes?

Can't you assume they are not backup files since VC doesn't create
backups?