Re: New names for VC local version backups

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: New names for VC local version backups
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:48:56 +0900 (JST)

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:
> My personal favorite would be to use CVS/Base/<file>.~<rev>~, since
> these files are (currently) only used for CVS and CVS already uses
> CVS/Base for something related (except it doesn't guarantee that those
> files are unmodified w.r.t the version in the repository
> and doesn't put any version info either).
> Also it would be more transparent.

I also think this ("CVS/Base/...") is a good idea; my dired buffers (and
*cvs* buffers) now show ugly "fofo.#VERS#" files.

What files does CVS use when it puts things in CVS/Base?  The cvs docs
say that "If watches are in use, then an `edit' command stores the
original copy of the file in the `Base' directory."

What would be highly excellent would be if CVS itself could be convinced
to use such files when created by emacs, even if "watches" *aren't* in
use, and by doing so, avoid lengthy transfers over the wire when
updating files that have changed locally... [currently it has to send
the entire modified file to the server for consideration, even when you
just do `cvs update'.]

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche