Re: Info faces

From: Gerd Moellmann
Subject: Re: Info faces
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 13:04:33 +0200 (CEST)

> > From: address@hidden (Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjoha?=
> >  =?iso-8859-1?q?nn?=)
> > Date: 25 Oct 2000 13:45:03 +0200
> >
> > No, `-name' sets the name for looking up X resources.  That is, Emacs
> > can't look up the resources for a specific xterm unless it knows the
> > `-name' argument, if any.
>
> Doesn't the same problem exist when Emacs runs on X as a windowed
> application?

The option `-name NAME' is a standard X command line option (like a
couple of others like `-display' and `-g') that X client have to
understand.  Emacs interprets it as having to find its resources under
NAME instead of `emacs'.

> Btw, if -name is _not_ used, and you invoke Emacs compiled with X
> support as "emacs -nw", does x-get-resource work as usual?

No it doesn't.  Nothing of the X code gets initialized in that case.
(That should change once we're allowing tty frames and X frames in
parallel.)