Re: image and display issues still

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: image and display issues still
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:43:19 -0400 (EDT)

I think this is a good idea... It keeps the repository clean and makes
updates easy and fast, and for those who want to avoid rebuilding
everything on slow machines (I think this was rms's big concern), the
elc files are readily available (and this way, kept up to date).

With the apparent increased security awareness at the FSF these days,
though, I'd have to point out that the generation of the files needs
to be done by a process that's completely unprivileged, or at least
doesn't have access to anything that can't be accessed by everyone
with write access to the repository, including work areas for batch
jobs for other not-totally-public projects hosted on the same servers.
Feel free to do otherwise, of course, if you think I'm being overly
paranoid; working in network security, I'm paid to think that they're
all out to get me, and not to think that everyone wants to play nice
with each other. :-)

Ken