Re: (type graphic)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: (type graphic)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:35:10 +0900 (JST)

> >   (defface my-emphasis
> >     '((((supported :italic))    :slant italic)
> >       (((supported :height))    :height 2.0)
> >       (((supported :underline)) :underline t)
> >       (t                        :inverse-video t)))
>
> This is redundant, I think: unsupported attributes are simply ignored,
> so we cannot gain too much here.  Note that Emacs deffaces almost
> always use color, either together or instead of the other attributes,
> so most faces will have some emphasis anyhow.

Just depending on unsupported attributes being ignored leads to ugly
faces, which are over-specified `so they work on all terminals'.
I.e., when someone can't be sure that just underline works, they specify
bold-underline-red.  Visible?  Yes.  Hideous?  Yes.

I'm not suggesting doing the above for 21.1, but something similar
*would* be useful, and almost trivial to implement.

-Miles