Re: image and display issues still

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: image and display issues still
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:06:59 +0200

> Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 00:01:34 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
>
> > I don't understand what's the problem the way we have the CVS now.
> > I don't get the .elc files when I do a "cvs up -d".
>
> The first checkout!

The first check-out is very lengthy anyway, if you sit behind a slow
dial-in connection (I do).  You need to pull 60-odd MBytes through the
net, so 4MB more will not change much, IMHO.

But if there's a better way, I don't mind.

> Isn't the idea of CVS to always have up-to-date files?  Conserving
> outdated tgz files there is really nonsense IMHO.

That was a compromise between having the *.elc files be updated by
"cvs up" and forcing everyone to do "make bootstrap" when they first
check out the distro.

> I rather suggest to use a tool like xdelta to create diffs between my
> suggested elc-archive -- instead of some MByte, the binary diffs only
> have some kByte.

Since you get the elc.tgz file only once, there's no need for updating
it, ever.  So I don't think we need xdelta for this.