Re: Info faces

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Info faces
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:08:30 +0900 (JST)

> As far as I could see, specifying either one or both colors from the
> command line works, with and without -rv, but a sole -rv doesn't (I
> think the mode line doesn't stand out).  Someone who has an easy
> access to a Unix box with development environment, please debug this.
>
> Note that -rv sets the inverse-video variable, so it is no longer
> redundant...

The problem is that `inverse-video' does not work correctly on ttys, or
at least not as you might expect [and never has, to the best of my
knowledge].  It makes *explicitly drawn* text reverse-video, but blank
areas that are `implicitly drawn', e.g., by clearing the screen, or
clearing to the end-of-line, do not (on most terminals) get the same
attributes as explicitly drawn text, and just show up in the terminal's
default background color (usually black).  On X, this is OK because
there's a way of specifying what that default is, but on a tty there isn't.

The same problem occurs with any setting of `background color' on ttys,
so that unless the redisplay code is changed to explicitly draw spaces
everywhere there's a non-black background, I'm not sure having `-bg' or
`-rv' options makes sense on ttys...

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche