Re: (type graphic)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: (type graphic)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 07:27:20 +0200 (IST)

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Miles Bader wrote:

> Does the MS-DOS port have a non-nil value of window-system?

Yes, the MS-DOS port defines window-system to have the value 'pc.

> If so, maybe the correct change for right now is to replace
> `(display-graphic-p FRAME)' with just `window-system', and it will
> revert to the old behavior.

No, display-graphic-p has specific meaning which does not suit the MS-DOS
port.  See the doc string and the description in the ELisp manual.

> More importantly, leave in `type graphic',
> but make a note that the graphic/tty distinction is broken on MS-DOS.

It's not broken.  The MS-DOS port correctly returns nil for
display-graphic-p.

> >   3) Replace (type tty) with (type 8-color), or with some other magic
> >      that looks at the number of the supported colors.
>
> [Such a distinction should be on the `(color ...)' tag, not the type tag.]

This is not important.  What's important is that this alternative
requires massive editing of all the defface's out there.  I doubt that we
want this so close to pretest.