Re: default bg color on ttys

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: default bg color on ttys
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 11:18:07 +0200 (IST)

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Miles Bader wrote:

> > How about frobbing the frame-background-mode user option?
>
> Whatever it is, should be easily done from the command line (because
> the correct value is very dependent on the particular circumstances in
> which you're using emacs).

But then the same problem existed with the previous code, no?  You always
got a dark background, no matter what were the particular circumstances,
right?  So why it is important to be able to do this from the command
line now, but it wasn't important before?

> I tried doing: emacs -nw -q -eval "(setq frame-background-mode 'dark)"
> but that didn't work, and there's no other advertised way to do this,
> other than running customize.

What's wrong with customize (or a setq in your .emacs)?  Isn't that what
users are supposed to do if the default operation is not appropriate for
them?