Re: default bg color on ttys

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: default bg color on ttys
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 13:43:37 +0200 (IST)

Sorry, I still don't get the full picture.

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Miles Bader wrote:

> Well, it *was* important before (I guess), but I didn't complain about
> it, because I personally don't use any terminals with light backgrounds.

I'm confused: this seems to contradict what you said about using different
environments that require different backgrounds.

> Because this is highly environment-dependent, and so if someone commonly
> runs emacs from both light- and dark-background terminals (as I used to),
> they either have to find some magic way to have their .emacs detect the
> situation

Let's talk specifically about someone who runs Emacs on a tty in several
environments, some of which require dark bg, while others light bg.  How
did that someone cope with this situation before the change that is
sensitive to $TERM?  And why won't the same solution work now?

> Having to specify a command-line option is
> kind of annoying too, but at least it's not _that_ annoying...

I'm not against a command-line option in general, but I do think that
using them with Emacs is annoying, so if there's a better solution, I'd
like to find it.  This is why I think it's important to understand the
situation where the problem arises.