Re: messages while the minibuffer is active

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: messages while the minibuffer is active
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 21:07:10 +0900 (JST)

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> The message pops up in a similar same way in v20.x, no?  What is different
> is that in v21 it doesn't go away until you type something.  Is that what
> you find annoying?

It was equally annoying in emacs 20.

Basically, when I'm typing, I don't want stuff blatting over what I'm
doing unless the system is about to melt down.

> There's something else about the messages that I find unpleasant: if the
> message resizes the minibuffer, the minibuffer stays resized until you
> exit the minibuffer (i.e. until the recursive edit is over).  This looks
> awkward, to say the least, and resembles a bug, even if it isn't...

Actually, wasn't it the case that emacs 21 used to to resize the
minibuffer all the time?  I remember that it made the mode-line jump
around like a scared cat, and was probably a lot slower too because of
all the extra redrawing.

-Miles