Re: messages while the minibuffer is active

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: messages while the minibuffer is active
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 14:35:16 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Miles Bader wrote:

> It was equally annoying in emacs 20.
>
> Basically, when I'm typing, I don't want stuff blatting over what I'm
> doing unless the system is about to melt down.

Perhaps you want a user option to shut that up.  Don't we have one
already?

> Actually, wasn't it the case that emacs 21 used to to resize the
> minibuffer all the time?

You mean Emacs 20, yes?

IIRC, you needed a special mode (resize-mini) to get the automatic
resizing in v20.x.

> I remember that it made the mode-line jump
> around like a scared cat, and was probably a lot slower too because of
> all the extra redrawing.

The same happens today with v21, albeit by default.

FWIW, I don't find the resizing itself a problem; I actually quite like
it.  What I'd like is for the minibuffer to be reset to its one-line size
as soon as the contents fits that.