Re: default bg color on ttys

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: default bg color on ttys
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 17:17:33 +0200 (IST)

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Robert J. Chassell wrote:

> Miles wrote:
>
>    I'm personally fond of my earlier suggestion of `-bg light' or `-bg dark'
>    (think of "light"/"dark" as being special colors that are the same as
>    unspecified_bg, but with different interpretation by the
>    background-mode-setting apparatus)...
>
> Miles is right -- these are easy to remember and cover most cases.

I don't like to override -bg and -fg with magic color names.  Someone
might define a special color with those silly names (it can be done for a
tty), and will be burned.

How about --dark-bg and --light-bg, or something similar?

> But please provide good documentation for the person who installs a
> .emacs file, such as:
>
>     (set-background-mode 'dark)
>     (set-background-mode 'medium-background)
>     (set-background-mode 'light)

We don't have medium-background in any defface's I've seen, so the second
line above will be a no-op, at least for the time being.  Therefore, I
don't see any reason to document it in the manual: that might cause
somebody to think such a background mode is really supported.