Re: default bg color on ttys

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: default bg color on ttys
Date: 01 Nov 2000 18:45:34 +0100

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, address@hidden wrote:

> My impression from reading gnu.emacs.help seems to suggest
> otherwise: most of the newbies there expect to be told about a
> command or a line to put into .emacs, not a command-line option.
> This is especially true for colors.
>
> Kai, is this impression wrong?

It appears that people don't like ~/.Xdefaults and want to configure
all aspects of Emacs in ~/.emacs, including colors.  I'm not sure
whether I want to generalize, though.  Quite a number of people appear
to use the -fg and -bg options for Emacs.

However, I believe that a command line option for setting the
background mode would be a Good Thing for a specific circumstance:
when people run Emacs in a tty, sometimes with a light and sometimes
with a dark background.  For example, consider somebody who normally
runs Emacs under X11 but now wants to repair /etc/XF86Config from the
console.  Or people who are on the road and use some kind of telnet or
ssh client for tty access to their normal machine.

In addition to `--dark-bg' and `--light-bg', there's the alternative
`--bg-mode={dark,light}'.

Of course, for the situation most often encountered, people will
probably wish to put some statement into ~/.emacs to set the
background mode.

kai
--
I like BOTH kinds of music.