Re: tool-tip default

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: tool-tip default
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 08:15:57 -0500 (EST)

   ... Tool-tips are mostly for newbies, so they should be on
   by default; if veterans find them annoying, they could disable them.

   > [I also think transient-mark mode, and global-font-lock mode, ought to
   > be turned on by default as well

   I think there are lots of optional features people keep asking about,
   which should be turned on by default.  For example, how about auto-fill
   in text modes?

   However, I'd suggest that Someone(tm) does the footwork of making a
   list ...  We could then discuss that list.

Here is the beginning of a default .emacs file:

;;;; Sample initialization file for Emacs 21
;; 2000 Nov  6

;;; For information about an initialization file,
;;; see Emacs Info, node `Init File':
;;    The command is:  C-h i m emacs RET g init file RET
;;  Also see Programming in Emacs Lisp, an Introduction,
;;  node `Emacs Initialization':
;;    The command is:  C-h i m emacs-lisp-intro RET emacs initialization RET

;;; Set Text mode as the the default
(setq default-major-mode 'text-mode)
;;; Automatically fill lines;  by default, the fill column is 70
(add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)

;;; Put two spaces after a colon with explicit fill commands
(setq colon-double-space t)

;;; Turn on Tooltip mode;
;;; this causes explanations to pop up in their own windows
(tooltip-mode 1)
;;
;;; Make tool tips appear quickly; the default is one second
(setq tooltip-delay 0.1)
;;
;; To turn off Tooltip mode: (tooltip-mode -1)

;; Turn on Transient mark mode
(transient-mark-mode 1)
;;
;; To turn off Transient mark mode: (transient-mark-mode -1)

;; Turn on Global font lock mode
(global-font-lock-mode 1)
;;
;; To turn off Global font lock mode: (global-font-lock-mode -1)

;;; Prevent the cursor from blinking
(blink-cursor-mode 0)
;;
;;; Cause cursor to blink
;; (blink-cursor-mode 1)

;;; Turn on menu bar, which has text for drop down menus
(menu-bar-mode 1)
;;
;; To turn off menu bar:     (menu-bar-mode -1)

;;; Cause indentation to insert spaces instead of tabs
(setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)

;; Allow scalable fonts.
(setq scalable-fonts-allowed t)

;;; Turn on mail aliases in Mail mode
(setq mail-aliases t)
;; Mail aliases are found in you4 ~/.mailrc file
;; Write a mail alias like this:
;;      alias geo address@hidden
;; Then when you write a message to George, address it to `geo'
;; and the mailer will automatically expand `geo' to the full address.

;;;; end Sample initialization file for Emacs 21