Re: 3d highlights on dark colors

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: 3d highlights on dark colors
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 19:00:04 +0900 (JST)

Ok, I figured out a reasonable way to do this without using any
expensive math functions.  The attached patch uses basically the same
parameters, but instead of adjusting the existing multiplicative factor,
it calculates an additive factor to add to all the color components,
using only multiplication and (one) division.

The resulting effect is *almost* the same as the previous code; however,
because this approach adds the same value to all color components
(R,G,B), highlights will tend to be slightly whiter than the reference
color.  To my eye this looks slightly *better*, as it gives them a
slightly `specular' appearance...  [Your opinion may vary :-)]

-Miles

Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche