Re: Contributing to Emacs Development

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Contributing to Emacs Development
Date: 11 Nov 2000 23:36:14 +0100

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, address@hidden wrote:
>>>"Eli" == Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>  Eli> If so, then the problems I was talking about are irrelevant
>  Eli> for this setup--as long as the user only invokes the default
>  Eli> `emacs'.  If the user somehow invokes a non-default Emacs, or
>  Eli> says "info -f emacs-19", the links which look for specific
>  Eli> file names will get a wrong file.
>
>       Umm, not quite. If I may reproduce my emacs info dir
> snippet: * Emacs: (emacs).  The extensible self-documenting text
> editor.  * Emacs-20: (emacs-20).  The extensible self-documenting
> text editor.  * Emacs-21: (emacs-21).  The extensible
> self-documenting text editor.
>
>       If you ask for the emacs info; info -f emacs, you shall,
>  via the magic symlinks, get either emacs-20 or emacs-21 file, as
>  the case may be.

Please note that Eli talked about links, not the info files
themselves.

Here's a snippet from the Gnus info file:

/----
|    All commands for posting and mailing will put you in a message buffer
| where you can edit the article all you like, before you send the
| article by pressing `C-c C-c'.  *Note Top: (message)Top.  Where the
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| message will be posted/mailed to depends on your setup (*note Posting
| Server::).
\----

Everybody clicking on the link will go to the `message' info file.  If
you wanted to provide two versions of Gnus, your info files would need
to point to two different `message' info files.  Does this in fact
happen?

kai
--
The arms should be held in a natural and unaffected way and never
be conspicuous. -- Revised Technique of Latin American Dancing