Re: Contributing to Emacs Development

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Contributing to Emacs Development
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 09:47:42 +0900 (JST)

Perhaps I'm missing something, but using static links via the
alternatives mechanism doesn't seem as if it will solve the original
problem Eli reported.

The thing is, say you start a *non-default* emacs (say `emacs19', when
/usr/bin/emacs points (indirectly) to `emacs20'), and then use `C-h C-f'
to jump to the info page on a command.

Emacs will try to open the info file "emacs".

But if /usr/share/info/emacs is symlinked (indirectly) to the info file
`.../emacs20', which I think is what you said will happen using
alternatives, then the user will get the info page for the command he
looked up *in the emacs20 manual*.  But he's running emacs19.... so the
documentation he gets is for the wrong version.

It seems as if it's necessary to either:

  1) Give each version of emacs its own info directory, which is first
     on the search path, and make sure that all info files that are
     emacs-version-dependent get put into this directory.  [I think this
     will work with non-emacs info readers, because they never have this
     implicit dependency on the `currently running emacs version', so
     static links will be ok for them]

  2) Change the way emacs gets these fixed info file names to look up
     (for instance, "emacs" when looking up via `C-h C-f'), via some
     mechanism in emacs.  This might work too, but it seems a bit
     trickier -- for instance when the user opens the info reader in
     emacs, and looks at the top-level directory, if he types `m Emacs',
     he should get the manual for the version he's running, *not* for
     the default on the system.

Am I incorrect?  If so, could you explain in more details how these
cases work using your proposed setup?

Thanks,

-Miles