Re: tool-tip default

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: tool-tip default
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 08:50:34 -0500 (EST)

   > You are using a Debian system with a packaged Emacs, and I claim my
   > £5!  Various bets are off.  That stuff isn't installed if you build
   > a straight GNU distribution.
   >
   > [The worst thing about this is that there's no indication that
   > you're getting a more-or-less hacked-up Emacs (GPL notwithstanding)
   > and no user doc as far as I know about what's entailed.

Right.  The Debian distribution is also a `hacked-down' distribution.

By default, Debian does not to install a good part of the plain text
documentation -- that is to say, it does not install the .el files
which contain that documentation.  (Of course, the documentation
should all be in Texinfo, but it isn't.  Lots of documentation is in
the `Commentary' section of an Emacs Lisp file. )

Also, the Debian distribution fails to install Emacs Calc mode by
default.  I suspect this is a carry over from the early days when
Emacs Calc mode, at 3 megabytes, was considered *huge*, and so was
shipped separately even though it has always been part of the default
configuration.

A default, plain vanilla installation should install all the
documentation and all the modes; and not install other features.

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com