Re: tool-tip default

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: tool-tip default
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 09:29:35 -0500 (EST)

   > Emacs Calc mode, at 3 megabytes, was considered *huge*, and so was
   > shipped separately even though it has always been part of the default
   > configuration.

   Since when?

>From the beginning.  I remember the conversation when Dave Gillespie
first released Calc in 1990.  The argument was that a special case had
to be made against including Calc mode the way C mode or Lisp mode is
included, because Calc mode was too large.

I always thought the decision was a mistake; and that because of it,
Emacs Calc is used less than it should be and known about by fewer
people.

(Lots of people have an at-least-occasional need to run regressions on
data, or simplify algebraic expressions, or convert from Fahrenheit to
Celsius, or convert a mathematical expression to forms suitable both
for Info and TeX, or simply to add two numbers.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com