Re: gnus-article-read-summary-keys

From: Gerd Moellmann
Subject: Re: gnus-article-read-summary-keys
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 13:19:26 +0100 (CET)

ShengHuo ZHU <address@hidden> writes:

> Gerd Moellmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > ShengHuo, I just stumbled over the fact that many keys in an article
> > buffer seem to be bound to gnus-article-read-summary-keys.  I think
> > this is a bad idea, since it makes Emacs' key help useless for these
> > keys.
>
> In an article buffer, most keys do the same commands as
> their correspondents in the summary buffer, except switch to the
> summary buffer first.  So the key help could be find in the summary
> buffer.  To make the key help in the article buffer useful, a bunch of
> functions may have to be defined or aliased to
> gnus-article-read-summary-keys.  Is there any other solution?

Not directly, I'm afraid.  Maybe you could use a macro to define
some of these functions?  Something like

(defmacro define-article-method (stem)
   (let* ((summary-fn (intern (format "gnus-summary-%s" stem)))
          (article-fn (intern (format "gnus-article-%s" stem)))
          (doc (format "Like `gnus-summary-%s', from an article buffer."
                       stem)))
     `(defun ,article-fn ()
        ,doc
        ...execute ,summary-fn in summary buffer...)))

(define-article-method "toggle-header")