Re: ill-advised changes [was Re: key bindings in hideshow.el]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ill-advised changes [was Re: key bindings in hideshow.el]
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 17:50:39 +0200 (IST)

On 23 Nov 2000, Dave Love wrote:

>  t> this is a good idea.  i will remove the `C-c C-c' hideshow
>  t> binding and (unless someone objects or beats me to it) bind `C-c
>  t> C-c' to `comment-region' in emacs-lisp mode.
>
> Please don't do things like that without consultation, and especially
> not now.  It's not fixing a bug or improving the documentation.

Hear, hear!

Keybindings are (a) not a grave problem, since people can easily
customize around them; and (b) changing them introduces inconsistencies,
because at least the documentation which lists those keybindings needs to
be reviewed and amended.  Changes in keybindings for major modes, such as
emacs-lisp, are even worse, because everybody is using them.

> I, for one, have a pile of changes postponed, some of which even date
> from before work started on Emacs 21.

Same here.