Re: Customize face editor: [Value menu] *

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Customize face editor: [Value menu] *
Date: 30 Nov 2000 09:54:33 +0900

Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
> The "[Value menu] *" value for attributes as it currently standt
> represents an unnecessary complication compared to Emacs 20.  The "*"
> is cryptic, and the same information is available via the checkbox.
>
> I suggest it is removed for 21.1, until someone find the time to make
> a full implementation (i.e. remove the checkbox, and chose a more
> significant string (e.g. "Unspecified" instead of "*")).

I've already made changes (which are not checked in yet) that get rid of
the `*' choice in each attribute widget, and make the check-box the
single way of toggling `unspecified'; I find this much clearer than
the current situation.

I also made it hide the contents of each attribute widget completely
when it is unspecified, because it seems rather confusing otherwise
(this was the hardest part -- because simply using an `invisible'
property just doesn't work well in emacs, I eventually ended up just
deleting and recreating the widget, which works *much* more smoothly).

I was waiting until after 21.1 is released to check these in, because
they are not completely trivial.

[but I can send you a patch if you want to look at them]

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche