Re: [Hong Feng <address@hidden>] article about GNU Emacs

From: fred
Subject: Re: [Hong Feng <address@hidden>] article about GNU Emacs
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 18:05:59 +0800

Hi Bill:

> I have a friend who is an author, and uses emacs for all of his book
> editing and technical writing (day job).  I'll check with him and see if he
> would be interested.  Could someone forward me the article that Hong Feng
> referenced?  I didn't see it attached as he says.  Would be a good starting
> point

I am very glad to heard about this.

the article of Bram was published on my web site, pls pay a visit to
http://www.rons.net.cn/vim.html, frankly speakly, it is a very nice article,
and I hope someone could write a better one than his about GNU Emacs.

> As for the running column on Emacs, I think if 5 or 6 people could do
> round-robin authoring of articles, that might be better than having a
> single author.

this is a right advice, and I will take it.

> Both in terms of diversity of features that the articles
> cover, and from an availability-of-the-author perspective.  We're all
> really busy, but doing a 1 or 2 page article every 6 months would be
> doable.

I could understand all of you are very busy,  from the developer's side, 2
pages article for every six months should be good.

> I could contribute an article or two on the dynamic loading that I've
> currently done for XEmacs and keep meaning to do for Emacs.  Ditto for the
> foreign-function interface.  I want to find time over the holidays to make
> this much more portable and not rely on the GTK object system.[1]

Interesting, could you please send me a copy of your article?

> It would be GREAT to have something like a technical track as well,
> explaining the underpinnings of the new redisplay engine, etc, etc.  I
> think this would help more developers feel comfortable working on the core
> C code.  The main reason I do more C level work for XEmacs is that the
> abstractions and semi-OO work they've done makes it easier to understand
> smaller pieces of the code.  Emacs has always been a bit more
> intimidating.

the technical track system could be possible to set on the magazine, if it does
not require to update too frequently (changing daily or weekly).

thanks for your support.
Frederic

Hong Feng/President & CEO
RON's Datacom Co., Ltd.