[Francesco Potorti` <address@hidden>] Slowness

From: Gerd Moellmann
Subject: [Francesco Potorti` <address@hidden>] Slowness
Date: 06 Dec 2000 13:43:25 +0100

Thanks for the report, Francesco.

Does someone of you observe this, too?  I've never seen it.

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Slowness Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 11:48:40 +0100
I occasionally experience a strange kind of slowness, that I cannot
reproduce easily.

Facts:

On a  terminal (no X) moving the  cursor with arrows or  M-f produces no
effect (the  cursor stays where  it is).  After  a time anywhere  from 2
seconds  to 10  seconds the  cursor moves.   Also,  any buffer-modifying
command, or C-l puts the cursor where it should stay.

The problem  was much more  serious in pre-pretest versions  of emacs21,
where  I could  easily reproduce  the problem  on a  specific shell-mode
buffer.

Guesses:

I did not  bother to mention that as  I expect it not to  be stable, and
also  because  there was  another  bug  related  to word-by-word  cursor
movement, which I thought was linked to the slowness.

It seems  that the problem  is linked with  font-lock, as it  most often
happens in  heavily font-locked  buffers.  Yet, it  never happend  in my
*shell* buffers, which may grow up to 1MB or so.

It may  also be  that the improvement  is simply  due to the  less heavy
default  fontification  in  the  pretest  version with  respect  to  the
pre-pretest.

--- End Message ---