Re: Cannot display special characters with default font

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Cannot display special characters with default font
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 15:32:30 +0200 (IST)

On 6 Dec 2000, Gerd Moellmann wrote:

> Brian Justice <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I was running gnus on emacs 21.0.91 and I noticed that certain people's
> > names
> > have trouble displaying.  For example, Kai Gro{ss}johan's name has a German
> > ess-tsett in it.  It displays fine in emacs 20, but on emacs 21, it shows up
> > as a square blob.  I tried fiddling around with some of the
> > internationalization settings, but I couldn't find one that worked.
>
> Can someone of you reproduce this?  Kai's name appears just fine
> in my Gnus.

And in my RMAIL as well.

Perhaps the full listing of Brian's Mule setup ("M-x mule-diag RET") will
help to pinpoint the problem(s).

Also, Brian, when you see non-ASCII characters displayed as empty
squares, please move point to that character, type this "C-u C-x =", and
post what it prints.  The result of "M-: buffer-file-coding-system RET"
in the buffer where this problem happens would also help.