Re: Another minor thing

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Another minor thing
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:58:56 +0200 (IST)

On 18 Dec 2000, Miles Bader wrote:

> that I'd like to fix post 20.1 is to make the cursor positioning
> relative to overlay before/after-strings reflect where inserted text
> will actually go.
>
> Currently, the cursor *always* follows before/after-strings, even if the
> corresponding overlay end-point will move upon insertion; this has the
> odd effect that typing at such a point results in the newly inserted
> text appearing somewhere distant from the cursor.  I'd like to change it
> so that the cursor's position will reflect the insertion type of the
> appropriate overlay end-point.

Could you please post a simple example of this, so that the problem can
be reproduced?

This seems to be related to changes that need to be introduced to support
bidirectional (a.k.a. bidi) editing for languages such as Arabic and
Hebrew (on which I'm supposed to work ;-).  That's my primary interest in
this issue.