Re: Another minor thing

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Another minor thing
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 13:16:16 +0200 (IST)

On 18 Dec 2000, Miles Bader wrote:

> Evaluate:
>
>    (progn
>      (insert "xyz123\n")
>      (let* ((beg (- (point) 4))
>             (end (- (point) 1))
>             (ov (make-overlay beg end nil t t)))
>        (overlay-put ov 'before-string "{{{{")
>        (overlay-put ov 'after-string "}}}}")
>        (goto-char beg)))
>
> and note the cursor is after the "{{{{" string.  Now type, and note
> where the characters appear.  Also note that it's impossible to position
> the cursor at the point where characters appear.

Okay, thanks for the test case.

FWIW, I'm not sure this is worth fixing, amazingly enough.  There
might be other circumstances where we will have such effects (meaning
that the cursor isn't at the locus where characters are inserted).
The bidi text editing is one such case.  (I can describe the details,
if you are interested.)

Fixing this might have an adverse side effect of breaking the rule
that the cursor is displayed on the character *after* point.

What I think _is_ important is that the user should be able to
understand why does this situation happen.  I think your case
satisfies this condition.