Re: Difficult compilation setup for nonstandard paths

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Difficult compilation setup for nonstandard paths
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 18:30:02 +0200 (IST)

On 3 Jan 2001, Kai =?iso-8859-1?q?Gro=DFjohann?= wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > [This probably should have been sent to emacs-pretest-bug, unless
> > you don't think v21.1 should bother about these problems.]
>
> Oops.  Sorry.  Hm.  I thought if it's a question, don't send it to the
> bug reports list.

Bug reports can be expressed as questions, can't they? ;-)

I think that anything which pertains to the pretest should go to
emacs-pretest-bug.

> I think I needed the C_INCLUDE_PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables only
> so that ./configure finds the libraries, because ./configure doesn't
> use CFLAGS and LDFLAGS from its environment.
>
> That is, when "LDFLAGS='-L/bla/lib' ./configure --with-foo" tries to
> find libfoo, it does not call the linker with the "-L/bla/lib" command
> line argument.

It doesn't?  This does work for me: I put -I switches into CPPFLAGS and
-L flags into LDFLAGS, and all the libraries are found (I need that
because some of the optional libraries are installed in my home
directory, since I don't have write access to public directories and
don't have time to talk to sysadmins about this.)

The configure script clearly does pay attention to LDFLAGS:

  ac_link='${CC-cc} -o conftest${ac_exeext} $CFLAGS $CPPFLAGS $LDFLAGS \
    conftest.$ac_ext $LIBS 1>&5'

Can you see why this isn't working for you?

> "./configure" needs C_INCLUDE_PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but for "make
> all", the CFLAGS and LDFLAGS setting is sufficient.

Actually, you should be able to unset CFLAGS and LDFLAGS before running
Make, since configure is supposed to record in the Makefile the values it
saw at configure time.