Re: documentation vs. customize (Re: <backspace> and DEL)

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: Re: documentation vs. customize (Re: <backspace> and DEL)
Date: 24 Jan 2001 02:40:16 +0100

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> I generally don't like custom too much, but I think that it does a pretty
> good job of presenting the various variables available.

Maybe it's only me but to me it just looks confusing (okay, after
several tries I get somehow used to it...).  Often I'm much much more
interested in a plain list of all available variable to do a simple
'C-h a'.

> As for the actual manual, it seems that its size is a non-negligible
> issue because it is also printed/published.  Maybe the online info
> manual should directly interface with `custom' ?

Interesting.  I'd like it more the other way around: A list of variables
and a function to lookup the documentation in the manual; maybe, such a
function is already available.

Please note, custom doesn't solve the problem to have the same
configuration at different sites.  .emacs you can copy from one host to
the other; you're not allowed to do the same with 'custom-file'.
Actually, introducing custom broke the possibility to share .emacs as
long as you don't set 'custom-file'!

--
work : address@hidden                          |                   ,__o
     : http://www.suse.de/~ke/             |                 _-\_<,