Re: ill-advised changes [was Re: key bindings in hideshow.el]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ill-advised changes [was Re: key bindings in hideshow.el]
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 11:30:42 +0200 (IST)

On 31 Jan 2001, thi wrote:

> Dave Love <address@hidden> writes:
>
>    >>>>> "t" == thi  <address@hidden> writes:
>
>     t> this is a good idea.  i will remove the `C-c C-c' hideshow
>     t> binding and (unless someone objects or beats me to it) bind `C-c
>     t> C-c' to `comment-region' in emacs-lisp mode.
>
>    Please don't do things like that without consultation, and especially
>    not now.  It's not fixing a bug or improving the documentation.
>
>    Please conserve bandwidth now and postpone even discussing such things
>    until we've got 21.1 out.  We need to stabilize it with the important
>    problems fixed (safely), _not_ add any more new features or cosmetics.
>    Dealing with extra mail takes time that would be better spent at this
>    stage.
>
>    Sorry to lecture and doubtless sound unreasonable, but it's important.
>    I, for one, have a pile of changes postponed, some of which even date
>    from before work started on Emacs 21.
>
> it's not important to sound unreasonable.
>
> you, for one, need not worry about this problem.  that's why i'm worrying
> about it and doing the work to fix it.  learn to let go a little.

This message is not directed at anyone in particular.

Please do not assume that people who write here have hostile intent.
Please do not proliferate a perceived hostility by reacting in an
unfriendly manner.

We should try to cooperate here.  Cooperation means that we should
always assume that our opponents mean well, and that they strive
towards the same common goal, even if we think their choice of words
is unfortunate or the means they choose are mistaken.

The upshot of what Dave asked for was to discuss non-trivial changes
before they are committed, especially during last stages of a pretest.
I think this is a reasonable request.  I'm sure everybody here wants
to see Emacs 21.1 making it out the door sooner rather than later.