Re[2]: ill-advised changes [was key bindings in hideshow.el]

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re[2]: ill-advised changes [was key bindings in hideshow.el]
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:37:12 -0500

>>> Richard Stallman <address@hidden> seems to think that:
>    If outline-mode is too restrictive, then a more general
>    `overview-mode' may need to be designed with the correct scope.  Here
>    are some examples of `overviews' I found.  Not all are directly
>    related to folding.
>
>Most of these are major modes.  I thought the proposal was to allocate
>M-o to minor modes.
  [ ... ]

Yes and No.  Yes, the original proposal was to allocate M-o for minor
modes.  I was making a counter-proposal for M-o being allocated to this
`outline/folding/summary/whatever-mode' that was not a minor mode, but
a set of utilities like vc or comint.

If folding/outlining/summarizing is a generally useful activity for
all types of files, then I would propose that M-o could be used for
that and be `always-on'.  This would be the same as version-control
(vc) which is always on, and is useful for multiple types of files.

This is also just a proposal for a new notion.  The list I included in
my previous email was for all programs I could find that had a folding
or outlining capability as meat to a conversation on the topic of what
it means to fold, overview, or summarize a buffer under diverse
conditions.

Example: If a base folding/summarizing/overview library was concocted,
would RMAIL use it?  Would an RMAIL like interface with a separate
summary buffer be useful for a C file?

Example: In C, a base folding library may hide function bodies (like
hide-show).  Would that same code be useful in RMAIL or Gnus in hiding
quoted text?

That is why I included both.  If any answers above are yes, then we
learned something.  If not, we still learned something.

Eric

--
          Eric Ludlam:                 address@hidden, address@hidden
   Home: www.ultranet.com/~zappo            Siege: www.siege-engine.com